The Township mails out tax bills twice a year. The Interim bills are generally mailed in mid February and the Final bills are generally mailed in mid August. Each bill has two installments due on the following dates
Interim Bill: 1st installment is due March 15th, 2nd installment is due June 15th
Final Bill: 1st installment is due September 15th, 2nd installment is due November 15th
Note: Where the 15th falls on a weekend or a Statutory Holiday, taxes are then due on the next normal business day.
Tax Payment Options
There are several ways residents can pay their tax bills. Click below for more information on any of the following methods:
- Internet or telephone banking – allows you to pay your tax bills on the internet or by phone through your bank.
- In Person – allows you to pay your tax bill in person at the Township Office or financial institutions.
- By Mail – allows you to pay your tax bill by mail or courier.
- Mortgage companies – allows you to pay your tax bill through your Mortgage Company or agent.
- Pre-authorized payment plans – never miss a tax installment again, as pre-authorized payment allows you to have payments withdrawn automatically from your bank account. Direct link to the Pre-authorized Payment Enrollment Form.
1. Internet or telephone banking
To set up your Internet or telephone banking you will need to input your 19-digit roll number as indicated on your tax bill which starts with 3408, please do not enter any periods or dashes. If this does not work, contact your financial institution's help desk.
2. In person
Payment at the Office - The Township office is open from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our office is located at 87 John Street South Aylmer, Ontario. The following methods of payment are accepted:
- Debit Cards are accepted, however credit cards are NOT accepted.
- Cheques/Post-Dated Cheques - Many ratepayers find it convenient to leave post-dated cheques for each of the two installments on the interim tax bill and again for the final bill.
- After-hours Mail Slot - There is a mail slot located at the end of the ramp at the front of the Township office. Please do not insert cash in this mail slot.
- Include your tax bill stub.
- Mail payment to: Township of Malahide, 87 John St. South, Aylmer ON N5H 2C3.
- Do not fold, staple, stamp or write on payment stub.
- Make cheque(s) payable to "Township of Malahide".
- Write your property tax roll number on the front of the cheque.
- We accept post-dated cheques.
4. Through your mortgage company
If a mortgage company or agent pays your tax bill, it is your responsibility to forward it to them. A receipt will be sent to you upon payment of your final bill. If your tenants or lessees pay the taxes in accordance with the terms of the lease, forward the bill to them.
Please remember, that even though the mortgage company forwards the payment to the Township, it is your responsibility as a property owner to make sure that payments have been received and processed by the Township.
5. Pre-authorized Payment Plan
The Pre-authorized Payment Plan (PAP) plans offer you the convenience of having no cheques to write, no worries about overdue payments, no large lump-sum payments, and no line-ups at your bank. Enrolment in the Plan is free. Eligibility in the program requires all taxes to be paid up-to-date.
PAP - Step One – Pay your current bill.
Your account must be paid in full for any taxes levied. If you have just received a bill, you must send your payment separately from the plan.
PAP - Step Two - Choose Your Payment Option from one of the following:
- Monthly: Payments on the 1st business day of each month. The Township of Malahide will process a debit, to be withdrawn monthly from January to October on the 1st business day of each month and the balance of your current yearly taxes in November. A letter will be mailed in October with notification of the November amount.
- Semi Monthly: Payments on the 15th and 30th of each month. The Township of Malahide will process a debit, to be withdrawn bi-monthly from January to November on the 15th and 30th business day of each month. Please note this option is not available for supplementary taxes.
- Installment (Quarterly): Payments on the tax installment due dates of March 15th, June 15th, September 15th and November 15th. Property taxpayers receive two tax bills per year, an interim tax bill in February (for tax installment dates March 15th and June 15th) and a final tax bill in August (for tax installment dates September 15th and November 15th). Both bills (4 installments) add up to your yearly property taxes.
PAP - Step Three - Fill out an application
There are several ways to receive an authorization form:
- Download the PDF format of the Pre-authorized Payment Enrolment Form here
- Contact us by e-mail
- Send your request to us in writing at the Township of Malahide, 87 John Street South, Aylmer ON N5H 2C3, or fax us at 519-773-5334. Please write your name, address and telephone number on your request.
- Contact us by phone at 519-773-5344, Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
PAP - Step Four - Return your completed application to the Township Office.
To ensure prompt enrolment in the plan be sure to:
- Enclose an unsigned cheque marked 'void'
- Identify your roll number (the 19 digit number starting with 34 08)
- Identify your property address
- Sign the form
- There are two ways to send us your application:
- By mail to: Township of Malahide, 87 John Street South Aylmer ON N5H 2C3; or,
- by fax to: 519-773-5334
Points to remember:
This authorization will not be required each year. However, every year, you will be notified of your new payment amounts for the following taxation year. Note: If you are moving within the Township of Malahide, your pre-authorized account is NOT transferable. You must complete a new application form.
If your banking information changes or you wish to withdraw from the plan you must provide the Township of Malahide with 30 days written notice.
There is a service fee for all items returned from your banking institution, such as for insufficient funds. Subscribers to the PAP Plan, who have more than one returned item in a year, will be removed from the plan. The balance of the taxes will become due on the regular due dates and subject to standard penalties and interest of 1.25% per month for any late payments.
Pre-authorized Payment and Plan Questions and Answers
What’s not included in the Preauthorized Payment Plan?
Supplementary Tax Bills. If you are enrolled in the Township's PAP Plan and receive a supplementary bill for improvements to your property, the terms and conditions of the plan require you to pay these tax charges separately by the due date stated on the bill.
Who is eligible to enroll in the plan?
You are eligible if all your property taxes are paid in full up to your chosen start date.
How does the PAP program work?
After enrolling into the program our office will send you a letter advising payment details and amounts. The program runs per calendar year beginning in January, although enrollment can begin at any time during the year. The payment amount is calculated using the previous year’s total tax levy increased by 5% (this allows for any possible tax increases) and then divided by 11 for monthly PAP, or 22 for semi-monthly PAP. Once the actual current year’s levy is known mid-September, you will be notified by letter of the adjusted amounts for the final 2 payments for monthly PAP or final 4 payments for semi-monthly. There are no payments in December.
If I register in the PAP plan will I receive a tax bill?
Yes. Plan subscribers will receive their final tax bill for their review and records. If you select the Quarterly Plan with payments due on the four Installment dates, you will receive a bill indicating the pre-authorized automatic withdrawal on each the two installment due dates for both the interim and the final tax bill.