Do I need a building permit?
Under the Ontario Building Code Act, you must have an approved building permit for the construction of a new building or addition, change of use, or if you are altering any building or structure with a building area of over 10 m2.
Do I need a permit for building a deck?

You need a permit for decks that are:

  • Adjacent to or attached to the house, and its walking surface is more than 600 millimetres (24 inches) above the adjacent grade;
  • Elevated and providing principal access to a building;
  • Independent from the house and has a walking surface greater than 10 m2 (108 square feet) in area and its walking surface is more than 600 millimetres (24 inches) above the adjacent grade.
Do I need a permit for interior and/or exterior renovations?
 A permit is required for interior and exterior alterations, including:
  • Adding or removing walls, or a new opening in bearing walls;
  • Finishing a basement and/or adding a bedroom in a finished basement;
  • One- or two-storey additions;
  • Adding new windows where none existed before;
  • Enlarging or relocating a window or a door;
  • Adding new plumbing (e.g., drains, waste or vents);
  • Installing a backflow prevention device. 

What are some common projects that need a permit include?

  • Demolition;
  • Adding an attached and detached garage or shed;
  • Installing solid-fuel appliances like woodstoves and wood burning fireplaces;
  • Adding sunrooms, solariums, and porches;
  • Repairing structural foundations and installing of foundation drainage systems;
  • Adding a new, private on-site sewage system, including grey water systems and holding tanks;
  • Repairing or replacing a septic system or leaching bed;
  • Connecting a private septic system to a municipal sewer and decommissioning a septic tank;
  • Change of Use (i.e. office use to retail use);
  • Structures that support a wind turbine generator with a rated output of more than 3 kilowatts;
  • Solar arrays, solar collector systems, and solar hot water systems mounted on a roof;
  • Livestock and equipment storage buildings;
  • Silos and grain bins;
  • Manure storage structures (excluding earthen structures);
  • Riding arena;
  • Fabric-type structures.
 What are some common projects that do not require a permit?
  • Replacing or installing asphalt shingles on a roof;
  • Minor roof sheathing repairs;
  • Repointing brick veneer;
  • Damp-proofing of a basement;
  • Replacing siding on a house;
  • Replacing a window or a door (if same size or smaller opening);
  • Kitchen or bathroom cabinets;
  • New flooring;
  • Installing air conditioning units;
  • Replacing an existing furnace;
  • Fences that do not enclose a pool;
  • Pool heaters;
  • Painting or decorating.

Sheds or structures 10 m2 or less that are stand-alone structures also do not require a permit; however, their placement must still meet zoning requirements.

Contact Us